Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Katie Stanton- Bachelor of Fine Arts


Katie Stanton is a graduating BFA major with a focus in painting. Creating work inspired by the hard edge painters Stanton combines painting and sculpture to create pieces using all kinds of different media. Stanton says what she enjoys most about painting is that it can go in all directions. She adds, “My work has evolved over time due to a wide range of experiments. I've always used acrylics, then expanded into other media, incorporating ink pigments, mirrors, a variety of fabrics, and lacquer. I enjoy experimenting with various media, including traditional and modern materials. In my work, my goal is to maintain an aesthetic appeal by combining a wide variety of materials that emphasize a kind of contemporary imagery that defies the boundaries between painting and sculpture.”  In her work Stanton definitely achieves this by combining a more open, expressive painting style with strips of looped fabric.
           
          To prepare for the show Stanton says she enrolled in intermediate sculpture and advanced painting at the same time, spending four nights in the studio a week. Stanton adds, “I had so many ideas and was inspired to go in so many directions. I started experimenting with all kinds of different materials, mainly inks with gesso, fabrics, mirror, acrylic paints, wood, lacquer, and basically whatever I got my hands on to incorporate into my paintings.” Stanton adds that the works she chose for the show may be very different and have variety but still remains cohesive, displaying how much she has grown as an artist in the program.
            Stanton also says, “I really enjoyed working with all of the professors and my classmates in the art department. I very much appreciate the bonds that were created over the years I've been here. I've become very close with most of my creative classmates. I really enjoyed how all of us art kids motivated one another, overall contributing to our success. It never felt like a competition.” She also wants to thank BFA alumni Patricia McDonald & Jon Elliott for guiding her through the application process. She notes how great it was to receive advice from the student perspective based on their experiences, as well as helping set up their Fall 2013 show. Stanton adds that it definitely prepared her for making choices for the show this semester. She also wants to thank Matthew Zivich, Blake Johnson, and Dr. Emily Kelley for preparing her for her future endeavors. She says, “they are amazing at making sure that we as students, are prepared for what to expect with our future in graduate school, and growth as independent artists.” She also wants to thank Sara Clark, Andrea Ondish, Hideki Kihata, and Phillip Hanson who have been there to answer any questions. She says, “these professors are amazing people! I very much appreciate the inspiration, advice, motivation, and challenge that came from our art department. This has made me want (all the more) to teach at college level, and do what they do.”
            Stanton plans to attend graduate school to work towards her masters degree, eventually she would like to teach and motivate other artists to further develop their work. To see more of Stanton’s work, as well as work by other graduating Bachelor of Fine Arts majors see the exhibition from now until Friday, May 9th.



Alison Bur
Gallery Assistant
University Art Gallery
Saginaw Valley State University


No comments:

Post a Comment