Friday, May 2, 2014

Amy Gibas- Bachelor of Fine Arts


Amy Gibas, Gears Series
Amy Gibas is a graduating BFA student with a focus in painting, her work combines painting and sculpture to include many different materials. Gibas says what she likes best about working primarily with painting and drawing is that, “contemporary painting incorporates so many different materials and styles. It gives the opportunity to expand my work and incorporate elements of collage, sculpture, installation, etc. I don't feel like I have to stick to just one approach to making art.” And her work certainly does that when looking at her installation piece, Gears Installation, most of Gibas’s work is mixed media mainly focusing on her Gears series that combines masculine and feminine elements (gears and lace) to create contrast and an interesting composition. Gibas states her recent work is about, “exploring techniques and processes of painting with fabric. Creating surfaces and elements that investigate the separation of painting and sculpture has also been a major interest in the pieces I create. In future works, I would like to continue the use of mixed media collage in combination with shaped surfaces.”
Gears Installation
Gibas says all her pieces in the show are from the last year to year and a half. Gibas says she began to see cohesiveness in her work when she began experimenting with mixed-media collage. Most of the pieces in the show are oriented around lace as a medium and a subject, but there are also a few pieces from before she began using lace that Gibas felt fit in with the style of her other pieces. They help the viewer to see the progression of her work during her time in the BFA program. When asked why she chose the BFA program at SVSU Gibas says, “I chose BFA because I wanted to concentrate on studio work. I also knew that I wanted to teach studio art at a college level, so continuing my education to earn an MFA was also a factor in my decision to go through with the BFA program.” She also adds, “I think the strongest part of my education from SVSU has been the faculty in the art department. My advisers have been so supportive in preparing me for graduation.” Gibas plans on continuing her education to earn a Master of Fine Arts degree in painting. To see Gibas’s work as well as work by other graduating Bachelor of Fine Arts majors see the exhibition from now until Friday, May 9th.


Alison Bur
Gallery Assistant
University Art Gallery
Saginaw Valley State University
















No comments:

Post a Comment